Louie Alexander Rockwall, Texas, USA
Persistence is an extremely important factor that will determine my success and riches in life. Hill says that it is an important habit or practice I need to develop to build faith and succeed in my endeavors. There are a couple of examples given by Hill to show their will and determination in handling difficult moments. One is none other than Thomas Edison, the famous inventor who invented light-bulb.
Hill says that Thomas Edison failed more than 10,000 times in his attempts, but Edison continues to persist and work on his experiment despite all the failures. Most people will quit after failing a few times, let alone 10,000 times like Edison. And this is exactly why most people fail to amass wealth or success in life. They simply jump to conclusion that things will not work out and they give up way too soon. Remember the story of Darby? He was just 3 feet away from striking gold, but he quit way too soon.
Persistence is a state of mind that can be cultivated by having the definiteness of purpose, self-reliance, desire, accurate knowledge, willpower, definiteness of plans, and also a habit.
Here are some of the key points I took away from this chapter of the book.
- POWER OF WILL IS BASIS OF PERSISTENCE.
- Misconception of people with Will-Power are generally classified as cold-blooded or ruthless.
- Surround yourself with “Master Mind” group if lacking persistence.
- Be persistence no matter how slow you start at first.
- PERSISTENCE CANNOT BE SUBSTITUTED.
- PERSISTENCE is made of DEFINITENESS OF PURPOSE, DESIRE, SELF-RELIANCE (believe in yourself to carry out plans), DEFINITENESS OF PLANS, ACCURATE KNOWLEDGE, COOPERATION and WILL-POWER (habit of concentering thoughts towards goal).
- Fear of criticism is stronger than desire for success.
- Do not be affected by criticism, criticism is useless with the exception it’s from your “Master Mind” group.
- Close mind against all negative influences.
- RICHES DO NOT RESPOND TO WISHES; RICHES RESPOND TO DEFINITE PLANS AND ACTION THROUGH PERSISTENCE.